Pages

Thursday 20 February 2014

WHITE LOTUS IN FIRE


Welcome to the heart of Asia. Today I decided to write about the most common and unusual Chinese superstitions. During my research I noticed that the Chinese pay a lot of attention to colors and numbers; therefore, I have chosen the most interesting ones.





The importance of colors  
  • ·       Red is the color of blood or life and will bring happiness, wealth, fame, and good luck. Because of this belief, red cloth or paper is always used during the funeral to cover statues of deities.
  •         White is the color of mother's milk. It symbolizes moderation, purity, honesty and life and balances red and black. This color is also used in funerals. According to the tradition, white cloth must be hung across the doorway of the house.
  •         Black is the color of feces and is associated with evil, disaster and bad fortune. Wearing black, blue or gray will bring bad luck to the marriage.
  •         Wedding clothes should be red, yellow and/or white.

Lucky and unlucky numbers
  •         The luckiest number is eight because it also means "prosper".
  •       The unluckiest number is four as it sounds like the Chinese word for death. The number 44 is considered to be the worst one as it means you are sure that you will die soon.
  •       Seven can also signify death.
  •       The number one means loneliness. That’s why Chinese boys never give 1 flower to their significant others.
  •       The number "9" is good, because nine in Cantonese sounds like the word "sufficient".
  •       The number of steps in a staircase, the same as flowers in a bouquet, should be even-numbered.


As you can see colors and numbers are very symbolic in China. It is very important to remember these small details as you can be kicked out of the wedding ceremony because of your blue shirt or dress, or get a slap because of one odd rose.

Stay bright and happy. See you next week :) 

6 comments:

  1. This is so interesting Nadiia, it's actually crazy to think about how many different cultures there are and all the superstitions that go with it. I'll have to remember this incase I ever go to a china wedding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will help you to understand other cultures better as Canada is so multinational country and all international people still keep their own beliefs. It can be very awkward situation when lack of cultural knowledge ruins relations or makes other people feel uncomfortable.

      Delete
  2. Nadia,
    It's funny that you show the elevator picture. I remember just a few years ago I was told apartment and condo buildings aren't given a 13th floor. Now every time I'm in an elevator I check to see if they have one. I wouldn't want to live on that floor if there was one haha!
    This is very interesting stuff! Keep up the great writing

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post, Nadiia. I love all the superstitions you have mentioned. I'm not sure if this one would interest you or not but: did you know that praise should never be given to or applied to a new-born Chinese baby as this may invite the attention of demons and ghosts.
    Keep up the great work though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The subject of superstitions is fascinating, and you do a great job of explaining different ones on your blog. Four is my lucky number, so it's interesting to learn that it sounds like the Chinese word for death and is considered unlucky in China. Nice work with your blog Nadiia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nadia,

    I really like the topic of your blog! It is definitely an interesting read and I have to admit that I have always been superstitious. I have learned a few different things from this post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete